[Battlemesh] BattleMeshV7: testing incremental fw upgrade feature

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Sat Mar 29 18:05:52 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

recently we moved from mount_root to our new fstools feed
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/39895/

One of the not so obvious features of fs-tools is a new overlay
strategy mode which we call snapshoting. I am still working on a
asciidoc to describe this feature, but in a nutshell it allows
incremental and rollback-able rootfs/opkg upgrades.

I would like to run a test at the wbm, a mesh of 5-10 routers, where
we deploy a "new version of the routing daemon in use" and then after
30 minutes or so, rollback to the older version without actually
touching the routers manually/individually.

OpenWrt also has a new "config apply without save and rollback after X
minutes" feature. The test case for this would be a mesh with X nodes,
where we push a rpc/uci sequence to for example upgrade used ip ranges
in the mesh and see if the apply and rollback after X minutes works.

I am however a n00b at meshing and will need some help with the testbed :)

Any volunteers that would like to help me work on this ? ideally we
get organized before the event as not to loose too much time on site
setting things up, but can get straight to the actual testing.

	John