[Battlemesh] Tests

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat May 3 18:45:08 CEST 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 7:34 AM, Amadeus Alfa
<amadeus at chemnitz.freifunk.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> BattleMesh v7 tests are now available online:
> http://battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV7/Tests
>
> Please let us know if you have any comments and what firmware requirements
> are necessary.

the netperf-wrapper test can be somewhat easily used in scenarios 2
and 5. Requirements
are a netperf netserver compiled with --enable-demo on the server(s),
and python on the
clients. (only plotting requires py-qt4 and python-matplotlib)

To tackle 5 in a topology like this:

client1 -> server1
          -> server2

client1 $: netperf-wrapper -l 300 -H server1 -H server2 -H server1 -H
server2 rtt_fair_be

To test

client1 -> server1
client2 -> server2

client1 $: ssh client2 'netperf-wrapper -l 300 -H server1 -H server2
-H server1 -H server2 -t client2-babel rtt_fair_be' &
client2 $: netperf-wrapper -l 300 -H server1 -H server2 -H server1 -H
server2 -t client1-babel rtt_fair_be

To meet the spec more exactly, to do a simpler single stream tcp
upload or tcp download test rather than 2 flows
to/from each server as these do, use "tcp_upload" or "tcp_download" as
the test name, and only a single -H target.
Writing other tests is rather straightforward also. The most often
used test is rrul_be actually.

To exercise the wifi hardware queues, "rtt_fair" will test the BE and BK queues.

(the -t title option above distinguishes between test runs). There is
also a batching facility that can be used to
capture a lot more data about the local structure of the qdisc and
network, and completely automate a test series.

In all cases latency and loss are fairly closely measured, and the end
results can be easily combined together
on a variety of cdf, box, q-q or other plots. There are simply
extraordinary numbers of graphs and data available
in the netperf-wrappers format now...

As for scenario 2 (powerline), I would argue for more different
manufacturers hardware as the two papers I know
of on it give wildly varying and oft-terrible results, and I'd be
reluctant to draw conclusions from only one manufacturer.

http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/130121A/CAIA-TR-130121A.pdf

http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/130417A/CAIA-TR-130417A.pdf

Does anyone have any MOCA gear yet?

I have a few comments the structure of the tests.

0) Given the quality of analysis we're getting back from
netperf-wrappers, I'd like that, rather than (or in addition to) iperf
be used. Get it at: https://github.com/tohojo/netperf-wrapper

1) A single long unidirectional tcp flow is not how the internet works & neither
test specifies the direction of the traffic. A single tcp stream is
not particularly
revealing, and various events (RTOs, reorders etc) are not easily
recovered from. A
a simultaneous continuous ping measurement gives a better idea of what's going
wrong on the path, in addition to the transfer.

A string of chrome web page benchmarker runs might be useful to obtain, in order
to generate more realistic network traffic from a list of urls.

2) 20 minutes is a heck of a long time to run a test. It should be
good to detect
long period oscillations like the babel-rtt work showed, however. (I used -l 300
above as that's 5 minutes)

3) The client nor server driving the test is not specified. My
assumption is that
each would be a reasonably fast box connected via ethernet to the
routers, running
a given kernel version, with a specific tcp (cubic) used, with an
underlying qdisc
of pfifo_fast (or sch_fq if the kernel is recent enough). Changing the tcp might
be useful as well as a separate experiment....

As for scenario 3, while I agree it's a good measurement of baseline
load induced by the routing protocol,
it's not a measure of what happens with route updates when routes
change, due to load, interference or other factors.

While it involves a lot of exercise, I was bemused by the testing
method outlined in this paper, so
perhaps there could be a node mobility test of some sort?

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/weakening_mac_loss_recovery.pdf

"The experiment is performed in a two storied Japanese style house
built of wood. As depicted in Fig. 2, the server and AP are located in
the 2nd floor. The terminal moves between the far position in the 1st
floor and the near position in the 2nd floor. The distance between the
terminal and AP is about 1.2 meter for the near position and about 10
meter for the far position. During a test run for 120 seconds, the
terminal moves in the following way.

* It starts communication at the far point and keeps the position for
30 seconds.

* Then, it moves from the far position to the near position. The
duration spent for the moving is about 15 seconds.

* It communicates with the server at the near position for 30 seconds.

* Again, it moves from the near position to the far position spending
about 15 seconds.

* In the last part, the terminal keeps the communication for 30
seconds at the far position. "

(my daydream is that the mobility is done by a robot, but...)

> @Eloi I have adopted 2 tests that should be of interest. :-)
>
> Best wishes, Amadeus

Dave Täht

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article