[Battlemesh] [OpenWrt-Users] Hardware implants on routers. Something that concerns us all

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Wed May 14 22:59:33 CEST 2014

Agreeing with Dom.  I'd have to imagine the difficulty and cost of
implanting something surreptitiously into a sub-$100US consumer router to
not be worthwhile, especially since such devices are often just a single
circuit board inside a plastic shell that may not be easily disassembled
(the small TP-Link units in particular).

Seems far more likely this sort of thing could happen to US-made rackmount
equipment sold to foreign ISPs, data houses, and similar enterprise-scale
clients.  Less so to end users.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Dom Latter <openwrt at latter.org> wrote:

> On 14/05/14 02:51, cmsv wrote:
>
>> How the NSA tampers with US-made internet routers
>>
>> http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/12/glenn-
>> greenwald-nsa-tampers-us-internet-routers-snowden
>>
>> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/05/new_nsa_snowden.html
>>
>> As anyone found a router that has been tampered ?
>>

> The way I read that Guardian article, they are talking about "Big Iron",
> not domestic routers.  The sort of thing that would be shipped
> to a large enterprise, a government, an ISP, or a telecommunications
> company.

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net