[Battlemesh] time sychronization in wibed

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sat Aug 8 13:41:10 CEST 2015

Dear testbed team,

I just stumbled into the fact that GNUnet needs at least roughly
synchronized time for things to work.

https://gnunet.org/bugs/view.php?id=3932

Obviously, running systems without an RTC in an isolated environment
will not provide that luxury to software running and the only lesson
I still remembered out of all the things I should have learned in the
Distributed Systems course I once visited is that one should never
rely on the "wall clock" aka. "planetary time" in distributed systems.
However, GNUnet partially violates that rule and doesn't provide any
internal means to synchronize clocks (yet).

Thus it would be nice to have at least rdate or NTP on all nodes on
the testbed and use it to synchronize time using the management mesh
and touch a file inside the overlay which can then be used after reboot
to at least get a rough idea of absolute time from the atime/mtime of
that file which should be good enough for GNUnet to work.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Daniel