[Battlemesh] Result documentation RFC / DiffServer + TOS, DSCP-settings

Bastian Bittorf bittorf at bluebottle.com
Sun Aug 23 20:32:59 CEST 2015

* nemesis <nemesis at ninux.org> [23.08.2015 20:07]:
> >Maybe adding a QOS rule for packets belonging to routing protocols
> >would help?
>
> I believe this was asked at the event and the bufferbloat crew
> provided some interesting insights.
>
> Short answer is "we should ensure the protocols work gracefully with
> default settings" .. for the long and detailed answer I'll pass the
> ball :-)

i have to repeat it, because nearly nobody understood this:

*no protocol* except olsr1/olsr2 sets the TOS/DSCP-Field.
Even this is *not enough* if we dont have a network-queue/class which
knows of DiffServ - so we have at least to 'TC' manually it.

a starting point is here:
https://github.com/bittorf/kalua/blob/master/openwrt-addons/etc/kalua/netfilter#L2253

this means: we must have some network-prio for protocol traffic when
the we have sort of congestion. this happens all the time 8-)

bye, bastian