[Battlemesh] ns-3 - Network Simulator

fboehm fboehm at aon.at
Mon Nov 16 16:47:49 CET 2015

Am 16.11.15 um 07:32 schrieb Henning Rogge:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM, fboehm <fboehm at aon.at> wrote:
>> Makes sense.
>>
>> What about interference calculations? Is there a nice way to do it with
>> emulators as well?
>>
>> I assume it's essential for mesh-network simulation. Especially in shared
>> spectrum. Mobile networks in licensed spectrum should be different in this
>> respect.
>
> Its time-consuming.
>
> Thats why NS-3 in emulation mode often takes hundreds of milliseconds
> to deliver a packet.
>
> Henning

Interesting.

A simulator in emulation mode takes hundreds to thousand times longer to
deliver packets to other (maybe emulated or real) network elements. Of
course, it's an event-driven piece of complex software.

But in this respect a simulator in emulation mode in combination with
other (real) network components can no longer deliver meaningful
results. Maybe if the emulated components are only source and sinks for
generating and consuming real traffic. Or am I wrong?

Franz