[Battlemesh] ns-3 - Network Simulator

Tom Henderson tomh at tomh.org
Mon Nov 16 19:23:36 CET 2015

On 11/16/2015 01:15 AM, leonardo wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-11-15 at 10:23 +0200, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>> Ns-3 and its predecessor ns-2 are pretty well known in the network
>> research community.
>

> Yes,
> and as far as I know, its main limitation is that you have to write
> code specifically for NS-3, which you can not re-use in real world. In
> our university (Trento) we use mininet, which is ok if you're
> developing things >= layer 3. There are some ideas to mix it with NS3
> channel model [1], but we're not in it still.
>
> leonardo.
>
> [1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/HOWTO_Use_Linux_Containers_to_set_up_vir
> tual_networks

Hi all,
There is a framework in ns-3 called Direct Code Execution that allows
one to run implementation code (C/C++ daemons, and/or the Linux network
kernel) from within the simulator.  For more details, see [1], [2].  For
example, quagga has been supported in this manner [3].

There has also been work integrating mininet [4] and CORE [5] emulators
with ns-3 lower layers.  Container integration has some advantages for
small network experiments, but the direct code execution support has
been shown to scale better and has the benefit of allowing one to debug
a network within a single address space, as described in [1].

Anyway, I thank Andreas for bringing some attention to your community,
in case it can be of any use.  We have an active forum on
ns-3-users at googlegroups.com if anyone has further questions after trying
it out, or feel free to contact me.

- Tom

[1] https://hal.inria.fr/hal-00880870v1/document