[Battlemesh] Preliminary Recon Team Report

M edimoger at ac.upc.edu
Sun Nov 22 18:56:44 CET 2015

Hi all!

The previous week, between Thursday afternoon and Sunday morning, Simon,
Marek and me have spent some time together with the local team of Porto,
Portugal. Here we present our preliminary report about the facilities of
the next Battlemesh.

*Scheduling*

We plan to have the event the 1st week of May or the weeks around it.

The 1st week of May was suggested by the local organizer team because
there are no classes at the university. Therefore it is easier to
organize access to rooms and facilities. At the same time there are
plenty of events going on to celebrate the end of the student year.

Please take into account that the venue depends on the week selected.
There is already a doodle available to help us settle on a final date
[1], but please fill it up after you read this email.

*Location*

We visited places of various sizes and styles but here we propose the
ones that seem more adequate with the event. All the venues are in the
University area which is located 20-30 minutes by metro from the city
center, or about 50 minutes walking.

Green Carpet room:
This room is available the 1st week of May only due to frequent events.
It is located centrally on the University campus[2], directly connected
to the main campus outdoor recreation area (garden). The building is in
10 minutes walking distance from the nearest metro station. This room is
a more official room for events used by the local University department.
The space is a bit more tight (compared to the red carpet room) but
still everyone can fit. It is more or less already separated for talks
and hacking space and useful equipment is already available: projector,
in-room free coffee machine and a basic kitchen. This room is available
until midnight, and extending the opening hours can be negotiated. The
deployment can be done across the whole department in meeting rooms,
labs, offices and common areas. Concerning food options, the nearby
university canteens are available for lunch and dinner during weekdays.
Vending machines are open 24/7. More info will be available on the
Battlemesh wiki page.

Red Carpet room:
This room is available the last week of April and the 2nd week of May.
It is located in the Polytechnic University buildings[3]. The buildings
are in 5 minutes walking distance from the nearest metro station. The
room is located on the 1st floor. To give an idea of the size, the room
was successfully used previously to host a LAN party of 100-150 people,
so it can host both the hacking space and the talks. We can artificially
separate the room in order provide some kind of isolation for the two
uses. Equipment (like projector, room separators, sofas, etc) is not
currently available but the local team will probably be able to get it
from the student's Union. Food can be provided by university catering
service. The room can stay open until midnight more or less, extra time
can be negotiated. More info will be available on the Battlemesh wiki page.

*Internet Access*

Both locations are connected to the broadband university Internet.

*Accommodation*

As in the previous years, the local organization team likes to offer a
hotel package to ease the task of finding a place and negotiate a better
price.

No single (affordable) hotel is large enough to accommodate more than 45
participants. However, we found two hostels in the city center that are
close to each other, that together can easily accommodate 100 people.

As usual there will be a package participation deadline, which will be
announced very soon.

*Social Events*

If the event takes place in the 1st week of May there will be plenty of
options for social events. Moreover, the visited hostels provide
facilities, like terrace and garden for organizing social events. The
university has also event locations available, such as student union
rooms and large canteens.

*Travel*

The Porto airport (OPO) provides a large variety of international flight
connections and it is well connected to the city center by (direct)
metro. If there is no direct flight available from your location, it is
possible to fly via Lisbon or many other major European cities.

*Cost estimation*

We estimate the accommodation package will cost around 120-160 euros.

There may be also a food package provided upon registration, similar to
Maribor.

*Local organization*

The local core team consists of Filipe Teixeira (who participated in the
Battlemesh in Aalborg), Mario Lopes, Filipe Ribeiro together with the
INESC Wireless Communications department (http://win.inesctec.pt). The
organizers have been very helpful during the recon process and they seem
very eager to organize a nice event. They will introduce themselves on
the list and will take care of our needs.

Best regards from the recon team and local organizers.

[1] http://doodle.com/poll/y7h6tg99ey89ny2g
[2] http://osm.org/go/b8bpCkbUp--?way=36979227
[3] http://osm.org/go/b8bpAOsYp--?way=172045688