[Battlemesh] Fwd: Re: [internet-freedom] openWRT vs. FCC - forced firmware lockdown?

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Sat Sep 5 05:54:29 CEST 2015

Hi!

Some more activity on this topic.

Mitar

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Andrew McConachie <amcconachie at berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [internet-freedom] openWRT vs. FCC - forced firmware lockdown?

Hey Internet Freedomers,

I wanted to provide an update on this as things have changed.

The original language from the FCC that we discussed is no longer in the
proposed rule change. The specific reference to DD-WRT has been removed,
and it now looks like the below language is what governs this.

"(i) For devices including modular transmitters which are software
defined radios and use software to control the radio or other parameters
subject to the Commission's rules, the description must include details
of the equipment's capabilities for software modification and
upgradeability, including all frequency bands, power levels, modulation
types, or other modes of operation for which the device is designed to
operate, whether or not the device will be initially marketed with all
modes enabled. The description must state which parties will be
authorized to make software changes (e.g., the grantee, wireless service
providers, other authorized parties) and the software controls that are
provided to prevent unauthorized parties from enabling different modes
of operation. Manufacturers must describe the methods used in the device
to secure the software in their application for equipment authorization
and must include a high level operational description or flow diagram of
the software that controls the radio frequency operating parameters. The
applicant must provide an attestation that only permissible modes of
operation may be selected by a user."[0]

In my opinion the FCC has rightly limited their concern of software
update to anything which relates to software controlled radios. The
requirement for device manufacturers will be limited to showing that a
software update cannot reprogram a software controlled radio to cause
interference. In practice, this will most likely mean that binary
drivers will be required to run OS's like OpenWRT, and manufacturers
like Marvel/Avago will continue to obfuscate their hardware APIs. This
is a compromise I think we're going to have to live with.

Below is the comment I made to the FCC(tracking number 1jz-8kvr-4z96).

"
Please do not do anything to interfere with the development of OpenWRT,
DD-WRT or similar alternative firmware. It is important that consumers
maintain the right to change the OS of any devices they own.

For the purposes of preventing spectrum interference it is necessary
that software controlled radios not be easily reprogrammable. However,
this requirement should in no way interfere with the legitimate right of
consumers to change the general purpose OS's of their legally purchased
devices.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew McConachie
"

Comments close on Sep 8, only 7 more days to go. Speak now or forever
hold your bits.

Also, if anyone knows someone at the LibrePlanet SaveWiFi wiki their
page has the wrong comment deadline.[1] Their page says October 9, but
the FCC deadline is September 8.

Thanks,
Andrew

[0]