[Battlemesh] IEEE magazine on FCC lockdown

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 18:27:57 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Simon Wunderlich <sw at simonwunderlich.de> wrote:
>> I don't think radar detection is done completely in Layer 1 in current
>> Wifi chips...
>
> Well, pattern detection is also done in software at least on ath9k and ath10k.
> All we get from the hardware (for these chips) is radar signal events, but
> pattern matching to match a number of signals to a particular radar type (and
> avoid false positives) is still done is software - and these radar patterns
> are also updated by regulation bodies from time to time.

Which would need to move to an updateable firmware in Layer 1 for a
clear separation.

Still, I don't think any hardware Vendor will do this "clean" job...

Does anyone know how this is resolved on Windows notebooks with Wifi?
I don't think its feasable to prevent a user from (un-)installing a
Wifi driver.

Henning