[Battlemesh] TP-Link FCC deal

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Mon Aug 1 22:35:39 CEST 2016

On 01/08/16 21:59, Ben West wrote:
> While certainly good news, I don't see how the FCC has authority to
> stipulate such requirements.

ideally, via imposing fines? anyway, the press release doesn't mention
any "requirement", only that TPLink promised to investigate how to allow
third-party firmwares ...without breaking the FCC rules :P

Quote from the pdf:

As part of the settlement, TP-Link has agreed to adopt robust compliance
measures to ensure that its existing and future Wi-Fi routers are in
compliance. TP-Link has also agreed to work with the open-source
community and Wi-Fi chipset manufacturers to enable consumers to install
third-party firmware on their Wi-Fi routers.

in particular:

TP-Link has also agreed to take steps to support innovation in
third-party router firmware by committing to investigate security
solutions for certain 5 GHz band routers that would permit the use of
third-party firmware while meeting the Commission’s security
requirements and maintaining the integrity of critical radio parameters.

AFAIU, tplink paid a fine of 200k usd for an... unintended feature in
their *stock* firmware

"In its investigation, the Enforcement Bureau found that TP-Link
marketed several Wi-Fi router models in the U.S. that included a user
setting that violated Section 15.15(b) of the Commission’s rules by
enabling the routers to operate at power levels that exceed their
approved parameters on certain restricted Wi-Fi channels."