[Battlemesh] LibreMesh

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 09:55:05 CET 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Kim Hawtin <kim at hawtin.net.au> wrote:
> On 17/12/16 02:02, Pau wrote:
>>
>> So what's up with 802.11s? Or any other "stupid" link-layer protocols
>> which are not part of the WiFi stack? Is it not a mesh network?
>

> from my experience with 802.11s on the OLPC, 's' was not designed to scale
> an actual ad-hoc mesh past a few tens of nodes.

802.11s can also be easily used (by switching off forwarding of data
and control traffic) as a mode similar to ad-hoc mode... just with the
capability to bridge some interface on each side and a more elegant
"global time" solution than ad-hoc.
>>> You cannot be a true mesh if you don't use ad-hoc mode.
>
> why put an artificial barrier in the way of participation?

I agree... adhoc or "anyone to anyone" mode is great for free mesh
networks, but this doesn't mean AP mode or other technologies don't
have a place, especially if you can put a router on both ends.

Henning