[Battlemesh] [bufferbloat-fcc-discuss] Action: fixing *WRT and the FCC

David Hilton quercus.aeternam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:27:50 UTC 2016

Thanks for your input, Rich, Wayne, Moeller and Adrian

Input from a *WRT maintainer would be very welcome. We *do* have funds
available, so if the FCC is amenable we could use that for hosting,
licenses (for wifi location data?) or development.

Adrian:
It is political, but I think that having a solution that works *right now*,
for *anything open* is an important bargaining chip.

Our initial (not mainline) implementation *would* just disable the
channels. That's the <2h dev time. As we get traction with the FCC, we
actually do a smart implementation that goes into trunk. Maybe WiFi
location data, or allow DFS-capable chips report DFS events (opt-in, of
course).

We can't just demand that vendors open their code and say "that will make
things better... because then we can fix it for you!" Let's apply a fix,
get some political capital, and try and expand what the fix applies to.
This ultimately will increase openness and security. As we *demonstrate*
the "secondary" benefits, we can expand the scope.

David

An aside: I am 10 miles from the FCC office in DC (this week (just Friday,
I guess), and will be here again in another month). I'm willing to go there
in person and meet with whoever I need to.