[Battlemesh] ipv6 prefix delegation in layer 3 mesh networks

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Thu Feb 11 16:12:16 CET 2016

>> How do the other nodes distinguish between prefixes that are made
>> available for PD, and prefixes that have been delegated and assigned to
>> individual nodes (that don't run a DHCPv6-PD server)?

> I don't think I understand your question. I would say the other nodes
> don't care.

If I understand Philipp's scheme right, the DHCPv6 relay discovers the
address of the DHCPv6-PD server by snooping on the routing protocol.  So
it needs to be able to distinguish an HNA that announces a prefix
available for delegation (announced by a node running a DHCPv6-PD server)
from an HNA announced by a DHCPv6-PD client (which is not willing to
provide further sub-delegations).

So how do you distinguish?  By looking at the prefix length?