[Battlemesh] Chilling effect - Lockdown (FCC/EU)

fboehm fboehm at aon.at
Thu Feb 18 10:27:50 CET 2016

Am 17.02.2016 um 20:49 schrieb Adam Longwill:
> Meta Mesh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is going to be working on a blog
> post which we will then shop to media outlets here in the US.
>
> That list you mentioned is exactly one of the things we'd like to put
> together- but we'd sure like help compiling it if you're aware of
> manufacturers doing this activity. I don't know if "shame" is the right
> word, but technical people should be made aware of this "easy way out"
> that the manufacturers are taking.
>
> Adam
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
> <jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr <mailto:jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr>>
> wrote:
>
>     > New AC APs with lockdown from Ubiquiti:
>     >
>     >http://lists.prplfoundation.org/pipermail/fcc/2015-November/000462.html
>
>     Grr.
>
>     Is anyone working on compiling and publicising a list of
>     manufacturers who
>     do this kind of nonsense?  The time may have come to start a grassroots
>     campaign to publicly shame manufacturers of DRM-encumbered routers.
>
>     -- Juliusz

What about manufacturers like www.8devices.com? They are working on 5GHz
equipment currently and aren't focused on end-users. Therefore I assume
no firmware lockdown.

Why not buy from such companies and support them to produce more/better
products for our needs. It doesn't seem to be rewarding to buy from the
cheapest manufacturers and think that we have a stake in their decision
making process. Who needs TP-Link?

I'm just trying to sketch a different attack vector to this problem.

Franz