[Battlemesh] What hardware still works?

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Thu Feb 25 11:34:32 CET 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 00:28 +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > How much would everyone trust these off-brand Chinese models like the
> > one linked above
>
> Adam,
>
> Daniel will correct me if I say something stupid, but I think you're not
> looking at the right hardware.  You don't want .11ac devices, at least not
> yet.  .11ac doesn't bring any range improvements, and only marginal
> improvements in spectral efficiency.  (.11ac improves throughput by using
> up huge amounts of radio spectrum, which is not something you want in
> a dense urban environment.  While MU-MIMO looks interesting, I'm not sure
> it's supported in meshes.)

Hi,

Do you have any relevant data to back "only marginal
improvements in spectral efficiency"?

https://chiliproject.tetaneutral.net/projects/tetaneutral/wiki/NanoBeam

On 40 MHz channels we do about x1.5+ in PC-radio-radio-PC measured TCP
bandwidth between n and ac, both in lab and in real links with Ubiquity
hardware.

Sincerely,

Laurent