[Battlemesh] What hardware still works?

Antonio Quartulli a at unstable.cc
Tue Mar 1 17:25:06 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 03:09:16PM +0200, Jonathan Morton wrote:
> In PCs, the wireless radio is typically on a daughtercard which is certified separately - even when it’s a softmac like ath9k, and the retail product in question is a complete motherboard or even laptop with “integrated wifi”.  Obviously, you can easily change the software drivers on a PC, including putting in a replacement regulatory database (or simply changing the regulatory-domain setting), but somehow that doesn’t invalidate the entire PC’s certification.

Are you 100% sure that this does not invalidate the *new* FCC regulation? As far
as I understood, then vendor/provider of the final product is responsible for
making sure that the user can't violate any regulation.

If this was true, couldn't a router manufacturer buy a "certified" wifi chip and
then keep the rest open like it before? This would have required way less engineering
effort given that on the router itself there was nothing to change.

On top of that, does your statement mean that any wifi router being sold with a
daughter wifi card does not need to be "certified per se" but it only requires
the daughter board to be certified ?

I have the suspect that with the new "weird and generic" rules it is not so easy
:( But please, tell me I am wrong.

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli