[Battlemesh] Ethernet over Coax

Philipp Borgers borgers at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 30 11:56:17 CET 2018

Thanks for all the comments!

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 02:58:07PM +0100, Clemens Hopfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Freitag, 19. Jänner 2018 14:03:12 CET Philipp Borgers wrote:
> > I would like to use the old coax cable in our building to extend our local
> > community network from the roof to the tenants in the building. Has someone
> > experience with ethernet over coax and can recommend hardware for such a
> > setup?
>
> There are Powerline adapters that run PowerLine over 75Ohm Coax cable (via F
> connectors). I briefly worked with some of them (Corinex) a while ago.
> Original PowerLine is crappy, but running it over Coax works quite well.
> Still, the devices are Modems, need 10-15W and aren't cheap.

I bought four used corinex anywire connectivity homenet bla bla adapters for 100
EUR. Net data rate on my desk is ~ 91 MBit/s both ways. One adapter on the roof
(router) and one in my appartment (notebook) the result is 70/90 MBit/s. My
notebook auto negotiates with the adapter 100 MBit/s. Advertisment says they
support 200 MBit/s.

I'm talking to the internet via the Berlin Freifunk network with 50/50 MBit/s.
Somewhere along the way we have to upgrade the point-to-point links...

> The nice thing is they usually work in Multi-Slave mode, so you can have a
> single Master on the roof and several Slaves on the same Coax Network,
> splitted via typical 3/6dB TV splitters.

This is the next thing I will try. I'm curios which implications multiple
devices will have to the bandwith and latency.

> If there's no way to run CAT cable, this is probably the next best thing.

CAT cable is not an option.

> Yes, original Ethernet was 10Base Coax, but with 50-Ohms impedance and only
> works in Line topology. Also, DOCSIS would be nice, but that's like running
> your own LTE infrastructure for your wireless babyphone ;)
>
> Clemens

Best Philipp