[Battlemesh] Short update on COSLi

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:02:23 CEST 2018

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 2:24 PM guifipedro <guifipedro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Yanosz and all,
>
> I know very little about the topic, hope you find positive to
> contribute to this discussion.
>
> # Discourse way
>
> I'm worried about the implications of this license for the people that
> need to have DIY defense, examples: amazonia tribes, autonomous
> regions [1], etc.
>
> As is difficult for me to accept the Peer Production License [2], and
> similar stuff [3].
>
> ... Or any license that put restrictions to freedom. Because I think
> that the restrictions of freedom must be
> regulated/consensuated/governed in an autonomous communities with a
> huge support from the locals. And not by this kind of universal law.
> And not because I don't trust universal stuff (like maths, physics,
> human rights), but because sometimes is very difficult to formulate
> it... And you don't know what's going to happen in 50 years.
>
> # Three bullet points way:
>
> - "They" are taking benefit of what we do, but if we license is free
> as in freedom, we can enjoy what they did (example: Linux kernel -
> GPL).

The Linux kernel has a ***modified*** GPLv2, where binary blobs are
allowed for drivers.

It is probably a bad example for freedom. In my case, some of the
routers I was hacking on had a binary VDSL driver, which made the
upgrade to a more recent kernel impossible, thus participating to some
degree to eWaste.

--
Benjamin Henrion (zoobab)
Email: zoobab at gmail.com