[Battlemesh] WBMv12 Recon Report

Filipe Borges Teixeira filipebteixeira at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 18:13:26 CET 2019

Hi all,

As mentors of the WBMv12 edition, Paul and myself (together with remote
hands from Albert and Claudio) have traveled to Paris, France from December
6-8, 2018 for the traditional Battlemesh reconnaissance mission, where we
met the local team. This is the recon report to share with you the main
conclusions.

* Main event description *
Following a great Wireless Meshup event where WBMv11 was co-located with
Freifunk Wireless Community Weekend, we have kept moving along Europe,
being France the best candidate. During the recon, we have been working
with the local team to create a rough schedule and see the best locations
to host the event.

* Location *
Four different venues were visited: Château de Millemont, Gaité Lyrique and
Telecom ParisTech and Le 6B.
** Château de Millemont ** is an impressive 18th century Castle in
Millemont, outside of Paris. It offers an impressive and vast area to host
the event, with a beautiful outside area. Despite its qualities, the
Château would require a lot of logistics to make WBM happen, due to the
80-100+ people expected. Also, transportation to/from Paris would require a
45-min train and a 30-min walk from the train station. Camping would be the
most feasible way.
** Gaité Lyrique ** La Gaîté Lyrique is a digital arts and modern music
center in the center of Paris. We would have access to an exhibition room
and auditorium, together with a bar space for informal work. Despite the
awesome facilities, opening hours are an issue, with the exhibition room
closing at 7 pm every day. Also, the building is only open during
afternoons, which would require additional security for outside opening
hours.
** Telecom ParisTech ** Télécom ParisTech is one of the top French public
institutions of higher education and research of engineering in Paris. We
visited different rooms and auditoriums for hosting the event, with some
good options. The building can be accessed 24h. We would require the names
of the participants in order to ask for an access card.
** Le 6B **  is a 7000 square meter space for creators and artists in
Saint-Denis town, just north to Paris. It offers a large and open room for
hosting the full-event, with an area for a small workshop and a projection
site. The building has also a restaurant and an outside area close to the
river.

Le 6B is the best candidate and we are currently negotiating a price
reduction with the management, together with meetings with sponsors to
evaluate if we can afford the venue costs, keeping the event free of
charge. Telecom ParisTech is our fallback option at the moment, and Gaité
Lyrique might be an option for a welcome social event.

* Internet Access *
The Internet access at Le 6B is DSL-based. Daniele and Franciliens.net are
making efforts to improve Internet access during the event. Broadband
Internet access at Telecom ParisTech is not an issue.

* Scheduling *
Due to other events in May-June window, an event at 6B is most likely to
happen in July. We will have a better idea once a final decision on the
funding and location is made.

* Accommodation *
We visited and actually tested one proposed hotel/hostel during our stay.
Beautiful Belleville Hôtel & Hostel offers double to six-bed bedrooms. An
accommodation package will be negotiated once the dates are fixed.

* Social Events *
Social events are important to get people together and break the ice to new
meshers. We have discussed some ideas, but the local team will provide more
details closer to the event.

* Travel *
Paris is very well connected with flights, from low-cost companies to
legacy ones in three international airports: Charles de Gaulle (CDG), Orly
(ORY) and Beauvais (BVA). Public transport (train and bus) is available
between airports and city center at around €10-16.

* Cost estimation *
We estimate the accommodation package to cost around 180-220 euros,
breakfast included.

*Local organization*
The local core team consists of Aube Richebourg and Daniele Pitrolo. The
local team was very helpful and really motivated, with a tight schedule for
the short recon mission. Thanks for hosting us in Paris!

Recon photos will be soon available on
http://downloads.battlemesh.org/WBMv12/recon_mission

Further details will be given during the official announcement that will
happen within some weeks. Stay tuned!

On behalf of the recon team and local organizers of WBMv12,
Wishing you a Happy New Year,
Filipe Teixeira