[Bologna] Fwd: [lime-dev] Lime now works on Chaos Calmer Was: linluaipluci and network.generate_host curse

ThEgAmEr xthegamerx a gmail.com
Mar 27 Ott 2015 16:55:06 CET

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gio <gio a diveni.re>
Date: Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 1:41 PM
Subject: [lime-dev] Lime now works on Chaos Calmer Was: linluaipluci
and network.generate_host curse
To: dev a lists.libre-mesh.org, gui a altermundi.net,
iochesonome a gmail.com, Pau <pau a dabax.net>

Hi!

DISCLAIMER: This mail contain sarcasm! Please don't take it as a personal
insult but as an occasion to make fun of our own code and learn ;)

This morning I was reviewing the branch that claimed to fix incompatibilities
with Chaos Calmer, I even re-based it on top of current develop and gave it a
name that fits more in our branch naming convention...

After some testing and reading I decided to not merge it and to rewrite it
from scratch instead.

Some shitty part of our code that was network.generate_host instead of using
the IP API was messing a lot with CIDR private internals, as Lua is so
indulgent it didn't refused to run but our code was a real mess!

In the new version of the library that part has been rewritten in C and to Lua
it exposed just the API so our shitty code can't mess with the private stuff
anymore, in this situation our reaction instead of fixing our shitty code has
been to copy the old luci code before putting it inside our core and then
(more reasonably) as a separate package...

This morning I have decided to do what we should have done since the
beginning:
rewrite the shit code so we don't need the old library anymore, in this
process I even discovered a Luci bug that Jow has already fixed (a missing
dependency)

I was tempted to delete the wrong branch but i decided that is a good idea to
keep it some week more so we all have time to review and understand what we
have done wrong

https://github.com/libre-mesh/lime-packages/tree/sandbox/ip_legacy_module

And here it goes the branch with the proper solution

https://github.com/libre-mesh/lime-packages/tree/sandbox/hotfix/luci-lib-ip

I have already tested it if no one oppose this I'll merge it in the following
days.

Cheers!