[ninux-Firenze] Fwd: Announcing a second FSF-certified device from ThinkPenguin: long-range USB Wifi adapter with Atheros chip

Michele Amato mikykim74 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 10:08:23 CEST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Free Software Foundation <info at fsf.org>
Date: 2013/6/25
Subject: Announcing a second FSF-certified device from ThinkPenguin:
long-range USB Wifi adapter with Atheros chip

*Read online<http://www.fsf.org/news/a-second-fsf-certified-device-from-thinkpenguin-long-range-usb-wifi-adapter-with-atheros-chip>
*
A second FSF-certified device from ThinkPenguin: long-range USB Wifi
adapter with Atheros chip

BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA — Monday, June 24th, 2013 — The Free Software
Foundation (FSF) today awarded Respects Your Freedom (RYF) certification to
the TPE-N150USBL long-range 802.11n USB adapter, sold by ThinkPenguin. This
wireless adapter is based on the Atheros AR9271, using the same chip and
firmware as the TPE-N150USB, which was awarded RYF certification in April.
The RYF certification mark means that the product meets the FSF's standards
in regard to users' freedom, control over the product, and privacy. The
TPE-N150USBL can be purchased from http://www.thinkpenguin.com/TPE-N150USBL.
[image: TPE-N150USBL long-range wireless N USB
adapter]<http://www.thinkpenguin.com/TPE-N150USBL>

Where the TPE-N150USB is a small and a convenient wireless USB adapter, the
TPE-N150USBL is designed to handle a large antenna so that users can
connect to a wireless access point at greater distances.

"We were excited to certify a much needed wireless product designed for
portability and traveling, and are now very happy to add its larger,
longer-range companion to our list of RYF certified devices," said FSF
licensing and compliance manager, Joshua Gay.

"Free software compatible USB wifi devices are one of our most demanded
products, so we are very pleased to be able to offer our customers the
choice of a second wifi adapter -- one that is not only powerful and
long-range, but that also respects their freedom," added Christopher Waid,
Founder & CEO of ThinkPenguin.

To learn more about the Respects Your Freedom hardware certification,
including details on the certification of the TPE-N150USB 802.11n USB
adapter, as well as information on the driver and firmware for the device,
visit http://www.fsf.org/ryf. Hardware sellers interested in applying for
certification can consult
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/criteria.

Subscribers to the FSF's *Free Software Supporter*
<http://www.fsf.org/fss>newsletter will receive announcements about
future Respects Your Freedom
products.
About the Free Software Foundation

The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to promoting
computer users' right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute
computer programs. The FSF promotes the development and use of free (as in
freedom) software -- particularly the GNU operating system and its
GNU/Linux variants -- and free documentation for free software. The FSF
also helps to spread awareness of the ethical and political issues of
freedom in the use of software, and its Web sites, located at fsf.org and
gnu.org, are an important source of information about GNU/Linux. Donations
to support the FSF's work can be made at http://donate.fsf.org. Its
headquarters are in Boston, MA, USA.
About ThinkPenguin, Inc

Started by Christopher Waid, founder and CEO, ThinkPenguin, Inc. is a
consumer-driven company with a mission to bring free software to the
masses. At the core of company is a catalog of computers and accessories
with broad support for GNU/Linux. The company provides technical support
for end-users and works with the community, distributions, and upstream
projects to make GNU/Linux all that it can be.
Media Contacts

Joshua Gay
Licensing & Compliance Manager
Free Software Foundation