[Ninux-day] A law question

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Sun Jan 10 07:35:17 CET 2010

Hi!

I have been reading Slovenian law on telecommunications during holidays
and found that they do not differ between different kinds of
telecommunication networks. So they have only one kind of "public
telecommunication network" and if you are doing it (what is everything
public which uses telecommunications) you have to register, pay yearly
fee just to be registered, retain traffic data...

Unofficially they said that of course open WiFi networks (like if you
have your home router open) are not public telecommunication network. So
it is just a good faith. And if our network grows too big...

But they are also saying that there are completely in sync with EU laws.
So I am asking if anybody could tell me if there are differences between
different "public telecommunication networks" in EU law? Like if you
have your WiFi open, do you immediately become a provider of a "public
telecommunication network"? If yes, this means that everybody with
unconfigured WiFi router is in conflict with law because it does not
register this network? If not, why not? What is the provision which
differs? I thought it would be commercial nature or something. But in
our law it is simply nothing.

Mitar