[Nodeshot] Different database for network Statistic

Charles Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Sat Apr 20 01:27:19 CEST 2013

Not netflow. Sflow. Sflow is an open standard. Of course ntop will support both. Cisco devices emit netflow, everyone else emits sflow.

The Free Network Foundation (thefnf.org) is looking at nodeshot very closely for use in our AutoNOC work. All FNF projects will of course be 100% FLOSS. Think of us as the Canonical of mesh (long term support distro of the mesh stack). We are a non profit. We are working closely with guifi.net (and are building guifi.us) to help distribute an integrated, turn key, supported version of various upstream tools.

As you all well know, a proper network requires monitoring and configuration management software to be anything other than a toy. :) . AutoNOC will be that system. Sflow telemetry data is vital for proper instrumentation as networks scale up.

Have you all seen nocproject.org by the way?

Nemesis <nemesis at ninux.org> wrote:

>Il 04/18/2013 07:37 PM, Gioacchino Mazzurco ha scritto:
>> Hi!
>>
>> The ntop.org developer have teached me that relational DB like mysql
>and
>> postgre are suboptimal for store network statistics data, it is
>possible to
>> use another database just for this kind of data?
>
>Yes i guess it's possible and I agree. We should research about which
>databases would be the optimal solution but also Django compatibility
>is
>a key factor in this decision.
>
>Any hint?
>
>> Moreover for research purpose it would be very nice to have netflow
>support on
>> nodeshot so we can plan better expansion for our networks :D
>
>I don't know what is netflow, but despite the proposals we should think
>about how to actually do stuff.
>
>Federico

Charles Wyble
charles at knownelement.com / 818 280 7059