[Nodeshot] Nodeshot v1: links drawing logic

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Fri Jan 24 10:46:35 CET 2014

https://github.com/ninuxorg/nodeshot/blob/master/nodeshot/scripts/read_topology_hna.py

>> The topology information, in "OLSR txtinfo plug-in format" is fetched
>> from URLs belonging to different islands which may use different routing
>> protocols. Links are drawn if the nodes are seen as connected in these
>> topologies. The color depends on the quality of the links.
>
> Hi Clauz,
> thanks for your answer!
> So, first things first: the URLs. They are the ones in settings.py,
> OLSR_URLS array, right?
> In the nodeshot github the only URL that's reported it's the default one
> for the txtinfo plug-in (localhost:2006), so I guess it's just a stub?

Yes it's a stub.

> Thanks to this, I've realized that the our node hlcs in the VPN Isole
> wasn't running the txtinfo plugin, so I loaded it and granted access for
> every address (0.0.0.0).
> Despite that, still the link didn't appear.
> On our node, echo "/all" | nc localhost 2006, contains the desired link
> in the Topology table, which it appears from a quick reading of the code
> the table the mapserver is targeting.
>
> Table: Topology
> Dest. IP    Last hop IP    LQ    NLQ    Cost
> 172.17.87.4    172.17.87.2    1.000    1.000    1.000
>
> Then I figured: do the other topology urls contain it? I didn't know any
> of them, so I tried vpnisole.ninux.org and got lucky:
>
> echo "/all" | nc vpnisole.ninux.org 2006
>
> I get over 1000+ line of topology, but our link isn't in there. That's
> our main issue, I guess.

Let's see, in our config we have:

BATMAN_URLS=["http://eigenlab.org/topolinia",
"http://coppermine.eigenlab.org/battxtinfo.php",
"http://10.0.5.100/data.txt"]
OLSR_URLS=[
    "http://127.0.0.1:2006/all",  # roma
    "http://topology.ninux.l0g.in/ipv4/",   # firenze
    "http://leto.korneolo.net:2006"   # vicenza
]

So, firenze and vicenza have their own OLSR txt info file reachable via
internet, and we parse that.

For Vitrerbo and Reggio Calabria we surely can see thei routes in our
topology, because the links are drawn.

In Cosenza's case, either we have (Roma) have to see your routes in our
topology or you can make one of your txt-info plugins reachable in some
way (a ninux ip address would be fine too) and send us the URL (make
sure the file is reachable and downlodable).

> Are these OLSR_URLS entries manually written in the settings file or is
> there some script that it's not working for us?
> If that's all manual, how do we get our URL into the settings.OLSR_URLS
> array?
> Could we get the current list of Islands URLs? it might be useful for
> debugging purposes.
>
> On the VPN Isole, our node has address 10.0.5.6, and txtinfo plugin on
> port 2006 seems to work fine.
>
> Other questions: how often the mapserver refreshes the link? If the
> status is set to "reachable" in the admin panel, and then the link
> doesn't appear in the topologies when the read_topology script is
> executed, does Nodeshot automatically set to unreachable?
>
> I have another idea about what could be going on.
> We didn't compile and run OLSRd integration for babeld as suggested in
> http://wiki.ninux.org/IsoleVPN.
> We thought it would be just fine to announce our entire assigned ip
> range in babeld.conf
>
> # redistribute our ip range
> redistribute ip 172.17.87.0/24 proto 157
> redistribute ip 10.87.0.0/16 proto 157
>
> but doesn't this mean we lost every topology information the map server
> might need to draw the links?
>

>> There were attempts to make the code cleaner, but there are a lot of
>> exceptions (e.g. VPN links) and details (e.g. OLSR MIDs) that also pop
>> up as community networks evolve (e.g. "ground routing").
>
> Ground Routing, that's our case :)
> We mirror very closely the Firenze configuration, which is working in
> the map server, so I don't think that's a factor in our case. Might be
> wrong, ofc.
>
>> Don't hesitate to ask. Perhaps it would be nice to arrange a short
>> remote tutorial on how this script works?
>
> That would be very nice. Let me know the means you prefer for that and
> I'll reach out to you next week (I'm not at home atm).
> Ofc We'd be grateful if you also could elaborate on our questions in
> this thread. =)

Clauz is more informed on these other doubts.

Federico