[ninux-research] CONFINE Community-Lab Controller upgrade on 2015-12-03

Claudio Pisa clauz at ninux.org
Fri Nov 27 12:13:07 CET 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Users-community-lab] Controller upgrade on 2015-12-03
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:58:39 +0100
From: Ivan Vilata i Balaguer <ivan at pangea.org>
To: Community-Lab users <users-community-lab at lists.community-lab.net>

Hi everyone,

On the next Thursday the 3rd of December we'll proceed to upgrade the
Community-Lab Controller to version 1.0.2.  This is a long pending task
in the path to complete the migration of Community-Lab to its stable
architecture and API specification.  It was repeatedly delayed to give
community network members time to upgrade nodes to the latest, stable
firmware, since the new Controller drops backwards compatibility with
previous, interim and evolving specifications.

However, despite the efforts to speed up the upgrade, many nodes are
still lagging behind with old firmware versions.  After the upgrade,
these nodes will stop interacting with the Controller and thus become
isolated from the testbed until they are upgraded.

We know this is an undesirable situation, however keeping backwards
compatibility with all partial specifications put a lot of burden on
code maintenance.  Since the CONFINE European Project is formally
finished and Community-Lab and the CONFINE code base will keep running
on a voluntary basis, we think that keeping such compatibility is too
much effort to ask for.

If you as a researcher or slice administrator feel your experiments at
risk because of a sudden lack of nodes, or nodes getting isolated from
the testbed because of lack of upgrades, please get in contact with the
group or node administrators of the group managing the nodes and kindly
ask them for action.  The user listing on the group's page in the
Controller UI should give you access to these users.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience,

--
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer