[Ninux-Wireless] Discover OBAMP Nodes

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto a gmail.com
Gio 4 Giu 2009 14:41:35 CEST

I'm working on the OBAMP implementation in C. Here some news on what I'm doing.

My first idea was to implement OBAMP as a OLSR plugin. This way I had
a easy way to discover the other nodes running the OBAMP plugin.

At the WCW2009 talking with most of you it came out that it was not a
good idea to implement an olsr plugin. Better to have a standalone
application reusable with any routing protocol.

Ok, but considering the OLSR network I need to discover the other
OBAMP nodes. Alex proposed to use the mDNS with the OLSR mDNS plugin.

I've been doing some tests... and some problem exist.

The mDNS plugin decapsulates mdns traffic from OLSR messages and sends
this traffic on a non OLSR interface. In case you want the router
itself to receive the mDNS messages the natural choice is to send the
received incapsulated packet to the loopback interface.

The mDNS works fine, but avahi does not use at all the loopback interface.

So I digged a little more and I tried to compile with this patch:

http://avahi.org/attachment/ticket/198/avahi-core.patch

so far now I have to loopback interface listed when I launch the
avahi-discover application, but I see only local services :(

OK, it makes no sense to start implementing the stand alone
application if I do not resolve this problem first. I will try to
contact also the avahi developers. However if I don't find a way out
of this problem quiclky I might go back on my steps and make OBAMP as
a OLSR plugin ...

Saverio