[Ninux-Wireless] Fwd: Re: [IS4CWN] Inquiries about ticket price from ninux.org

Saverio Proto zioproto a gmail.com
Mer 19 Giu 2013 20:01:23 CEST

Hello all,

please forward my email to the proper people, and proper mailing lists.

there is a big talking in the past 3 weeks about the wireless summit at the
C-Base in the beginning of October.

the big talking is about the ticket for entering at the event, that shocked
most of the foreigners that attended previous events at C-Base.

I have been around the C-Base for several years now, and I attended many
wireless events. In all of them we had meals, and all the people were
really participating. People doing videos, streaming, doing talks. People
freely donated money when arriving, to make everything possible. The recent
Wireless Community Weekend 2013 is a perfect example of that.

In my opinion an event where you have to pay a ticket to get inside is not
representative of this community.
Anyone should be able to get in without paying the ticket and see what we
have to say.

I have a good job and I can afford both travelling and entrance ticket. But
how I can invite a lot of young students, if we put such barriers ? I dont
feel comfortable inviting young people. Wireless community is not a job for
them , is something they do as activists.

What are these EU projects sponsoring if we need to make people pay a
ticket to get in ? What are the sponsors for ?
And morover, event the CCC congress and camping have cheaper tickets !

Because of this, my idea at the moment is NOT to participate. I will be at
the C-Base again for wireless community weekend 2014.

Wireless community is grassroots, it is NOT business. I have the feeling
that the New America Foundation has a "business approach" that does not
match well with the European way of developing  wireless community networks.

ciao,

Saverio - Ninux.org