[Ninux-Wireless] Fwd: [Battlemesh] Preliminary Recon Team Report

Nemesis nemesis a ninux.org
Gio 12 Set 2013 18:44:52 CEST

FYI

Per coloro che sono interessati al prossimo battlemesh consiglio
vivamente di iscriversi alla mailing list dedicata, passano poche email.

Ci si può iscrivere qui:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     [Battlemesh] Preliminary Recon Team Report
Date:     Fri, 06 Sep 2013 23:12:44 +0200
From:     Jo-Philipp Wich <jow a openwrt.org>

Hi all!

After spending two days in Leipzig together with Martin and Simon we'd
like to present our preliminary report of the facilities within the city.

TRANSPORTATION

There are several ways to get to Leipzig city.

Airport

There is an international airport near the city, it is called
Leipzig/Halle Airport (IATA: LEJ) which can be reached by train in
approx. 15 minutes from Leipzig central station. Trains are running
every 15-30 minutes until midnight and beginning from 04:00 in the
morning. Tickets can be directly brought on the platform using the
ticket automats there.

However it is usually quite expensive to get a flight connection to
this airport since it adds around 150-200 euro fees on top of a flight
route to Berlin or Frankfurt international airport.

Train

There is a good intercity high-speed train connection from Berlin to
Leipzig plus an additional private train service called "Interconnex"
(http://interconnex.com) which costs between 16 and 22 Euro and runs
twice a day from Berlin central station at 07:57 and 17:06 towards
Leipzig central station. The trip takes around one hour and twenty
minutes.

Additionally there is regular rail service available via Deutsche Bahn
(http://bahn.de) with varying prices depending on the type of train.

Bus

There are several inter-city bus lines available from Berlin to
Leipzig or Frankfurt to Leipzig which arrive near the central station
in Leipzig. Prices are between 8-16 euro for a trip Berlin -> Leipzig
which takes around two hours and ca. 15 euro for a trip from Frankfurt
to Leipzig which is about five hours.

Inner city (Public transport)

There is a direct tram line (nr. 14) from Leipzig central station to
Karl-Heine-Str. in Plagwitz where the Westwerk complex (the conference
place) is located.

ACCOMODATION.

We've checked out several hostels in Leipzig and are confident in
finding a suitable one among the ones we've visted so far.

All the locations we're considering are in direct walking range from
the central station in Leipzig and well connected to local tram and
bus services.

LOCATION

There have been two candidate locations in Leipzig for hosting the
actual conference, one has been the "Conne Island" youth club /
concert hall organization in the Connwitz quarter and the other one is
the local hackerspace "Sublab" (http://sublab.org) situated in the
historical "Westwerk" industrial complex.

After visiting both locations we decided that the Sublab is the
location most compatible to our requirements for the events.

Power, high-speed internet connection, space, projector, kitchen
facilities, sitting places and connection to the local wireless
community network are available plus the sublab crew is eager to help
us hosting the event there.

DATES

So far we consider three different possible dates to host the event:

 1) 28.04. - 04.05.2014
 2) 05.05. - 11.05.2014
 3) 12.05. - 18.05.2014

See also the doodle at http://doodle.com/defdbfq3xhkzxctr for voting
on possible dates.

Regarding the usual wheather conditions in Germany it is better if we
do the event in late may, as the later it is the warmer it gets.

Also on some of these dates there are trade fairs in Leipzig which
might affect hotel availability and prices.

LOCAL ORGANIZATION

Me (Jo-Philipp) and Ufo will take care of organizing the local tasks
here in Leipzig. Simon and Martin have offered to help with several
tasks and we're still looking for volunteers taking over some tasks
and serving as local backup. We will send a list of open task later.

WARMUP

There is no warm-up event planned so far, if you have some idea please
speak up and volunteer to help organizing it.

FOOD

Breakfast will likely be served at the hotel, additionally we'd be
able to provide coffee, tea and snacks directly at the sublab hackerspace.

We're still evaluating possibilities for serving dinner, either by
cooking locally in the sublab or by catering. Visiting downtown for
food or preparing barbeque is a possibilty as well.

SOCIAL EVENTS

There are many options for leisure time activities in Leipzig. There
is the possibility to take guided city sightseeing tours, make boat
trips (maybe a mesh boat tour?!) or visiting the local nightlife
during the weekend.

Additionally there are also several huge lakes around the city and a
big forest and huge park areas to wander or barbeque in.

Best regards, on behalf of the recon team and local organizers.

~ Jow