[Battlemesh] Battlemesh event description

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Wed Nov 20 13:09:20 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

in order to promote the event to its maximum potential and in order to
get the best possible outcome, I thought it would be cool to expand a
little the description of the event.

First of all, I would like to brainstorm about the battlemesh potential
and what would be the best possible outcome to see if we have a similar
vision.

*Potential*
The Battlemesh community is on of the most beautiful, exciting and
skilled community I came across in my short life.
Most of the participants are *very* skilled in their own field,
seriously. Dynamic routing protocol developers, OpenWRT developers,
wireless community networkers, free and open source sofware developers
and advocates, network engineers, web developers, ecc
In this event we have the people who are driving the open source
development in the field of open wireless networking.
A coordinated effort by this group of people can have great impact, and
infact is already having a significant impact.

*Goals and desired outcome
*The battlemesh event description cites routing protocol testing and
"competition", a positive competition with a social character. This was
the original spirit and goal of the event.

In the following years, it became also a place where to discuss about
community networks, software dedicated to ease the construction,
deployment and management of a wireless network, research projects,
innovative ideas and so on.

But the stated goal has remained the same, routing protocol testing to
see which protocol perform best in certain situations.
Is that the only outcome desired for this event?

Or do we also want to express our desire to make an event where people
with a common dream, a dream of open communications for all, can meet
and coordinate their efforts toward this common goal?

So another (additionally to routing protocol testing) possible outcome
would be to foster the growth of communities, open hardware and software
that work toward the creation of a new global communication
infrastructure, the kind of infrastructure dreamed in the wireless
common manifesto ( http://www.wirelesscommons.org/) which many of us are
working hard to build.

Adding this kind of explicit statement in the event description would be
a recognition of what the event really is today, hence attracting more
of the kind of people who are interested not only in routing protocol
testing, but also in the people, hardware and software tools dedicated
to open networks.

Some people for example, might be interested in talking about their new
project, KORUZA, funkfeuer nodeDB, or the new developments of their
existing projects.
Some other people from new community networks might be interested in
meeting people of existing and mature community networks to learn
something from them.
Some others might want to come because they have an idea for a possible
research project or crowdfunding intiative, or whatever.

All these things already happened in the previous years.
It's a small detail which many of us feel obvious and natural, but it
might have a certain impact on how newcomers perceive the Battlemesh.

Sorry for this long email and thank to those who read it all.
I hope to have expressed my point clearly and hope to hear your opinions.

Federico