[Ninux-day] Wrap-up

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Wed Dec 2 09:11:01 CET 2009

Al 02/12/09 00:39, En/na Mitar ha escrit:
> Hi!
>

>> I'm refering basically to 2002/20/CE Art. 5 (Authorization Directive)
>> and the Article 87 of the UE treaty about fair competition (If I do
>> remember them correctly).
>>
> Hm, I doubt fair competition treaty can be used in a case of
> non-commercial network as we do not want to show ourselves as a
> competition to the commercial networks?

I was pointing that in the sense that both commercial an non commercial
use have to be allowed under fair conditions.
Non commercial use, doesn't means that lacks of a business model or
sustainability, just means that is not based on the commercial
exploitation of a proprietary infrastructure.
There are also other economic models such as self service, or a neutral
network surrounded by services around it (like the internet itself).

If certain regulation benefits one economic model and prevents another,
we have an argument to say that the member state is interfering against
fair competition.

>> If we think carefully, we might find others. googling by 2002/27CE
>> you'll find it.
>>
> I have found this:
>
> http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/conreg/presentations/conreg_0504_fabrizio_savi_p2.pdf
>
> But it does say anything useful, it seems.
>
> Could somebody maybe translate current articles of Italian law which
> prohibits WiFi? Maybe we could find

I saw those texts in Rome, I haven't the Italian laws links, somewhere
have to be.
Strictly, was not prohibiting wi-fi, but asking for authorization for
being used outdoors outside of your property, and later, there is an
expensive tax only affordable for coroprations, which clearly discourage
individuals for building self-service/non-commercial networks.