[Nodeshot] Refactoring doubt: device fields firmware and OS

Stefano De Carlo stefanauss at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 20:51:20 CET 2013

Il 06/11/2013 18:17, Nemesis ha scritto:
> The problem with having OS version is that the automatic scripts
> running get a version number which is quite complex.

It's complex, it requires some regex magic, but I don't understand why
you set uname as an example. I find these more useful:

OpenWRT:

cat /etc/openwrt_release + some regex magic
cat /etc/openwrt_version

AirOS:

cat /etc/version (major release)
cat /lib/version (build number string)

Sorry, I don't know regex enough to extract the versioning but it should
be trivial for someone who knows his/her way.

As for the usefulness, I agree with what Clauz said, I believe It's
compelling enough as a use case.
It also makes easier to identify which devices needs updating should a
major security vulnerability arise.

Stefanauss.