[Nodeshot] Talking about maps [was: two example of interactive elevation profile processing using gmap]

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Wed Nov 20 12:11:05 CET 2013

Talking about maps, thank to the CitySDK project i learnt a lot about
GIS tools and I discovered this software: TileMill
https://www.mapbox.com/tilemill/ - developed by a company called MapBox.

I'm studying it in my very little free time to understand what is
possible to achieve with it.
I think it's possible to setup your own tileserver with the tiles
(OpenStreetMap) you want, or even style them!
I think it would be a really cool service to have in a community network.

See for example this map:
http://dev.citysdk-mobility.provincia.roma.it/map

I quite like the stile of the map, and the tiles are hosted on a
tileserver offered by the leader of the project.
Setting up your own tileserver means no API key, no dependence upon a
third party provider.

For a commercial project is good to pay somebody for that service, no
having the hassle to mantain it and focus on your core business, but for
a mature community, which has its own infrastructure and skilled people
offering their help in mantaining stuff it would be a waste of money
plus what kind of independence is that?

Personally in Nodeshot i'm moving in the direction of using
OpenStreetMap, at today's times I can say it's a mature project, and
many companies like MapQuest and MapBox have built a succcessfull
business model upon OSM which speeded up its evolution and improvement.
I think this is an example of good business model which is a WIN-WIN for
both a company and a community.

Checkout the gallery:
https://www.mapbox.com/tilemill/gallery/