[Nodeshot] two example of interactive elevation profile processing using gmap

Giuseppe De Marco demarcog83 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 12:17:53 CET 2013

DEM files usually, in base of their resolution in pixel, could take from
300MB to 1GB, for italy.
If a django view could open a file of that dimension, honestly, it could
have a bad impact to server load.

If you think to use Google maps this avoids the problem because Google gave
us a querable service that runs the game as expected.
If you think to use OpenLayers this implies to setup a WebProcessingSystem
and the DEM shoud be imported inside PostGIS for performance needs.

this could be drawn splitting nodeshot from WPS to separate servers, and
then integrating it inside a django view with a simple sort of ping that
returns results of WPS unavailibility.
This because use nodeshot on a postgis DB could be problematic for smart DB
backup and development branchs.