[Battlemesh] tests for WBMv3

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Wed May 26 10:54:11 CEST 2010

Hello Luca, hello everyone -

let me just briefly describe my initial ideas. I intended to compare the
protocols 1:1 - i.e. run two protocols at the same time and compare overhead,
CPU load, measure the frequency and length or routing loops, success rate,
latency, time necessary to deal with topology changes.

Then create a simple list containing the data and compare them 1:1 again,
like:

1) Protocol A was sending packets around in a loop less often than B, namely 5
occurances of loops persisting so and so long - giving values for A and B.

2) Protocol A had X% success rate, protocol B had Y% success rate

N) And so on.

The tool necessary to perform these tests for Layer 3 protocols would be a
script running a full-blown version of ping from the OpenWrt iputils package,
using both subnets to connect to the same node. In order to do that I'd
suggest we set up two different subnets for the test candidates.

For Batman-Advanced this requires batping. I have suggested to add the record-
route feature to batping.

Ping is great because we can configure interval frequency, packet size and it
records the route and test using different conditions, packet sizes. Routing
loops are recorded because it spits out a "TTL expired" message and TTL count.

Cheers,
Elektra