[Battlemesh] tests for downloads ? and tests follow-ups

Axel Neumann neumann at cgws.de
Sat Mar 26 22:15:42 CET 2011

hi

In the following you'll find a quick summary of the measurements Henning and I
did in the last night of the battlemesh!

More detailed numbers can be found here (.pdf):
http://dabax.net/wbm/axel/summary/WBMv4-A-summary-details-x01.pdf
and here (.ods):
http://dabax.net/wbm/axel/summary/WBMv4-A-summary-details-x01.ods

The bash commands to evauate all the numbers summarized in the latter link and
some more remarks on the measurements are given here:
http://dabax.net/wbm/axel/summary/wbm4-eval-notes.txt

By playing with the counted 0/1 values in the latter spreadshet you can
exclude certain measurements from the summary line. This way you can focus the
evaluation on specific scenarios (like only static or only mobile scenarios). I
suggest to dig around a bit, its very interesting...

There are also graphs illustrating the protocol-traffic overhead over time for
each measurement comparing the different protocols here (*.png):
http://dabax.net/wbm/axel/summary/

An approximate map of the deployed node locations is here:
http://dabax.net/wbm/axel/summary/node-location.jpg

The script to gather ping and top data is here:
http://dabax.net/wbm/axel/script/ping-test.sh

All raw data can be found here:
http://dabax.net/wbm/axel/raw-data/

Most important remark:
Due to different configurations there are two groups of protocols.
Group A: Babel, Olsr, Bmx6 (33 nodes, different channels, lan & wlan interface
Group B: Batman, Batman-Adv (25 nodes, one channel,  only wlan interface
Protocols from group A can NOT be compared with protocols from group B!

############################

Packet Loss (all scenarios):

Group A:
Bmx6 59.5%
Olsrd 64.5%
Babel 71.0%

Group B:
Batman-Adv 71.3%
Batman       74.4%

Packet Loss (only two rather fast mobile scenarios):

Group A:
Babel 78.0%
Bmx6 80.0%
Olsrd 81.5%

Group B:
Batman       77.5%
Batman-Adv 82.0%

############################

Average Protocol Traffic Overhead in Bytes/Second (all scenarios)

Group A:
Olsrd 591  Bytes/sec  1.3 Packets/sec
Bmx6 954  Bytes/sec  4.8 Packets/sec
Babel 2029 Bytes/s    12.5 Packets/sec

Group B:
Batman-Adv 1240 Bytes/sec 21.7 Packets/sec
Batman       1308 Bytes/sec 20.0 Packets/sec

############################

Average Cpu load @ Fonera2100 (all scenarios)

Group A:
Olsrd 1.8%
Bmx6 4.2%
Babel 7.2%

Group B:
Batman      3.8%
Batman-Adv ?

############################

Average Memory consumption @ Fonera2100 (all scenarios)

Group A:
Babel 8.8%
Bmx6 10.0%
Olsrd 10.9%

Group B:
Batman      8.0%
Batman-Adv ?

############################

Average Recorded number of loops per 1500 pings (all scenarios)

Group A:
Olsrd  30.8
Bmx6  0
Babel  0

Group B:
Batman      13.8
Batman-Adv ?

############################

Average Memory consumption @ Fonera2100 (all scenarios)

Group A:
Babel 8.8%
Bmx6 10.0%
Olsrd 10.9%

Group B:
Batman      8.0%
Batman-Adv ?

############################

Its very interesting to look deeper into what happened. For example for me it
was interesting how much protocols made use of channel switching (reduce
interference) at the cost of at least two additional hops.

Average Number of detected ping RecordRoutes via channels 1 or 11 nodes
Given as average per measurement      (all scenarios):

Group A:
Bmx6  10.4
Olsrd  10.2
Babel  8.9

Or: Its also interesting to node how captured protocol traffic overhead changed
between the first measurements (e.g. log-07-BytesPer10Seconds.png ) and the
last measurements (e.g. log-21-BytesPer10Second.png around 7am when there was
much less radio interference from notebooks).

Any comments, suggestoins, or other evaluations are very welcome.

Special thanks to Nico, Pieter, ... and all the others for setting this all up

/axel