[Battlemesh] [Babel-users] Still no ad-hoc in Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich"?

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Wed Oct 19 23:47:05 CEST 2011

Well, I am a bit reluctant to say anything very much because I'm not
that familiar with how adhoc works technically but I rooted my HTC
Vision with cyanogenmod and it has communicated with my adhoc network
ever since I rooted it.  I was hoping to be able to compile babeld at
some point with the ndk and try it on my network.  The phone that is
babled works just fine on the network currently.  Anyway my point is
that at least one group enables and supports adhoc under android using
gingerbread.

   Kirk

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> From the Android developer site:
>
>  Support for Wi-Fi Direct lets users connect directly to nearby peer
>  devices over Wi-Fi, for more reliable, higher-speed communication. No
>  internet connection or tethering is needed. Through third-party apps,
>  users can connect to compatible devices to take advantage of new
>  features such as instant sharing of files, photos, or other media;
>  streaming video or audio from another device; or connecting to
>  compatible printers or other devices.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not ad-hoc mode -- it's "Wi-Fi direct", which is
> a Wi-Fi Alliance specification unrelated to IEEE 802.11.
>
>  Is this the same as Ad Hoc mode?
>  No, this is not Ad-Hoc mode (also known as IBSS) but an extension to
>  the ubiquitous infrastructure mode of operation that can operate
>  without a dedicated access point. Ad Hoc, or IBSS, mode is a legacy
>  protocol for Wi-Fi devices, and Wi-Fi Direct is a new innovation. With
>  the technology underlying Wi-Fi Direct, a device can maintain
>  a simultaneous connection to an infrastructure network – this isn’t
>  possible with Ad Hoc.
>
>  Is the specification underlying the Wi-Fi Direct certification program
>  based on the IEEE 802.11s (Mesh) or 802.11z (Direct Link Setup)
>  standards?
>  No. The specification underlying the Wi-Fi Direct certification
>  program was developed within the Wi-Fi Alliance by member
>  companies. It operates on 802.11 devices but is not linked to any
>  specific IEEE 802.11 amendment.
>
>  http://www.wi-fi.org/files/faq_20101021_Wi-Fi_Direct_FAQ.pdf
>
> -- Juliusz

Well that's it then, colour me gone!