[Battlemesh] Wifi-Opp

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Oct 20 13:39:41 CEST 2011

>>> We have proposed an alternative to WiFi Ad Hoc called WiFi-Opp, which
>>> is more flexible and doesn't require pairing (as in WiFi Direct which
>>> we tested on Galaxy SII).

>> Very interesting work, although I'm not sure it's an alternative to
>> ad-hoc.

> Well, our goal is to allow "ad hoc" communications w/o WiFi ad hoc using
> stock phones (non routed/jailbreaked)

I understand that, and I think it's a great line of research.  I'm only
suggesting that you should use a more mellow formulation than "an
alternative to WiFi Ad Hoc".

> 90% of the flooding performances of what WiFi ad hoc would provide

I'm probably just being slow, but once again: what is your measure of
"flooding performance"?  I cannot find it defined in either the paper or
your previous mail.

Also, the paper claims 70% and 20% if I read the graphs right, so where
are the 90% and 10% figures coming from?

> iPhones can connect to any already existing wifi ad hoc network...but
> cannot create one if none exists in the first place.

Ah, I see.  That sucks.

-- Juliusz