[Battlemesh] Nice meshwork project based on cellphones

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul.gardner.stephen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 02:49:35 CEST 2012

Hi All,

I am the founder of the Serval Project, so thought I would drop in on
the conversation.

We do have the IDEOS X1 as our primary supported phone, but it will
work on some other models of phone as well, e.g., Samsung Galaxy S 2,
various other IDEOS family phones and so on.

We are also happy to add support for any other model of rooted phone
if someone can lend us a phone for a day or three.

I will be in Europe at the end of May, with the 26th in Berlin and 3rd
June in Geneva, and a few hours on the 5th June in Zurich airport if
people want to catch me (maybe to work on getting their phone
supported).

Moving on from specific handset issues, we are currently in a burst of
development effort over the next few months, and in the meantime the
releases are very much experimental grade.

Mesh wise, we currently support both BATMAN and OLSRd, but are also
adding our own overlay mesh that runs side-by-side with one of these,
but using a 256-bit ECC public key as network address, and handles
security and a variety of other issues.  More on that as we make
progress on it.

Paul.