[Battlemesh] Testbed?

Ferry Huberts mailings at hupie.com
Tue Jul 3 06:44:11 CEST 2012

On 02-07-12 23:48, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>>>   * DLEP suppoert
>>
>> What is DLEP? I tried to read the RFC, but it hurts my brain:
>
> It's a protocol for communicating with radios over Ethernet.  The idea
> being that you have one smart router with a number of Ethernet-attached
> APs, and you communicate with the APs using DLEP.

Think about it in an even more 'low-budget' way: it allows you to have a
_very_ low cost radio device because that only needs to speak DLEP.
It allows a router to (trivially) have more radios, at Ethernet (!)
distances, only the radios need to be weather proofed.

But most of all, it allows the routers to be virtualised!
For creating a large testbed (CONFINE) this is the most important thing
I think.

> I have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, isn't a routing protocol
> what nodes should be using to communicate?  On the other hand, the
> perspective of having off-the-shelf commercial APs that you can connect
> over Ethernet to your Cisco control box or your mesh router does sound
> compelling.
>
> -- Juliusz

Ferry Huberts