[Battlemesh] HAM Radio?

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Jul 31 09:10:19 CEST 2012

On Jul 31, 2012, at 2:57 AM, Mitar wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just stumbled upon one old e-mail ...
>
>> According to regulations you are not allowed to transport content
>> over ham networks. Hence you are essentially only allowed to talk
>> about the weather and other trivial things.
>
> I am not sure if this is true. As far as I know (what they told me in
> our HAM association in Slovenia, for me being a HAM operator) is that
> you should not allow any third-party content to be send over the link.
> And that nothing should be encrypted. So the main idea is that only HAM
> operators can use that links. But for whatever content you want
> (provided it is not encrypted), in both directions (you requesting
> something from the Internet, you sending something to the Internet, or
> just to your next hop neighbor, also HAM operator).

Over here it is explicitly written into the law text that you should use other commercial means of communication when the topics are not HAM, weather or other trivial things.
(Most of the time HAMs only talk about HAM stuff anyway so that is fine for them).

But it is weird... and so against freedom of speech...

>> Yes, that is true. Again, ham networks are not allowed to be
>> interconnected with the Internet (or any other commercial network)
>> except for reaching the hamnet itself (like in a VPN).
>
> No? HAM operators can normally connect to the Internet and use it. They
Nope

> can use 44/8 IPs for that. The only condition is that content should not
Yes, they were early for getting IP space but that is again restricted for HAM use only.

> be encrypted. And that it should not be used for third-party content. So
again , see above. laws might be slightly different in different countries.

> you can access anything. But you probably cannot setup a service
> somebody else, not a HAM operator, access. Maybe if it is HAM related,
> then even that.
>
> So if we would all become HAM operators, then we would be able to use
> those TX powers.

Not good for us. We would not legally be able to interconnect with the internet and have any content flowing over the network.
No idea what the law says in Germany, I guess it will be very similar to Austria.