[Battlemesh] Battlemesh v5 tests

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 6 18:56:51 CET 2012

On Wednesday, March 07, 2012 00:30:15 Gabriel Kerneis wrote:
> I’m not a BATMAN user but I’m interested in multi-radio routing, so I just
> checked out your wiki.  On the Documentation Overview [1], I noticed two
> promising links:
> - Multi-Link Optimization - how to optimize traffic by using multiple links
> [2] - Bonding and Interface Alternating - Use multiple links in batman-adv
> for fun and profit. [3]
>
> The former sadly returns a 404 (“this page does not exist or has been
> deleted”).

This is a stub to remind us that we are lacking a page for batman-adv users
explaining how to use these features in the field. Since you are not a batman
user I would expect you are not interested anyways?

> The latter explains the general principle of “interface
> alternating”, which I happen to already know since I’m interested in the
> topic, but does not explain at all the mechanisms, metrics, or even
> configuration options to tweak it in BATMAN.

Could you be more specific on what you are looking for ? All options batman-
adv has are explained[1]. You can also consult the online man page for
batctl[2] which is a handy tool making it easier to configure batman. What is
missing? The B.A.T.M.A.N. routing metric ? How is that related to multi-link
setups ? Maybe I misunderstand ?

> Whatever the reasons (we all know that writing documentation takes more
> time and is more boring than coding), I feel that you make BATMAN and the
> community at large a disservice by keeping insights about how advanced
> features work burried in the source code.  Yes, I could figure it out by
> myself; no, I unfortunately don’t have the time to do so.

Just for the fun of it I quickly searched for documentation about the famous
"babel-z" code/algorithm on the babeld website. Maybe you can help me to find
the documentation because I could not find any?! This makes babel-z a
proprietary protocol by your own standards, doesn't it ?

Cheers,
Marek

[1] http://www.open-mesh.org/wiki/batman-adv/Tweaking
[2] http://downloads.open-mesh.org/batman/manpages/batctl.8.html