[Battlemesh] Battlemesh v5 tests

Antonio Quartulli ordex at autistici.org
Sun Mar 11 13:37:37 CET 2012

Hi Clauz,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 12:03:08PM +0000, Clauz wrote:
> On 03/11/2012 10:59 AM, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> Hi, Antonio.

I didn't talk about moving NODES, but I talked about moving CLIENTS.

E.g. in your ninux network could be a normal user which, for some reason, moves
from an Access Point to the next one (imagine two close houses with two
different ninux APs).

> I had thought about performing tests with moving nodes at first, but
> then I left them out because:
>  * at ninux we don't have real moving nodes :) and, AFAIK, moving nodes
> are not common in other wireless community networks as well

read above :P

>  * it might be not easy to repeat the test (i.e. walk many times the
> very same path at the very same speed) for each protocol

Well, since the idea is not to measure how well routes react (remember, we are not
moving nodes), the test could simply consist in a deterministic number of
roaming.

E.g.: assuming to have a full mesh topology made up by 4 nodes, we can
trigger a roaming event and let a client "move" from node A to node B and then
check if connections are still alive. In case of dead connections, what types
those are (e.g. extremely interactive protocols reacted bad while an FTP
download didn't notice the roaming at all).

This is just a roughly idea, but we can elaborate something more complex.

> BTW, is this feature already included in the "standard" batman-adv or it
> does require a specific build? One of the rules [0] that was my feeling
> to introduce (again for sake of community-network realism) is that the
> routing protocol build and configuration should be the same for every
> different test...

Yes, it is part of batman-adv from release 2011.3.0.

> Perhaps we can leave mobility for the next Battlemesh?

As you wish..I thought it was interesting to give it a try

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli

..each of us alone is worth nothing..