[Battlemesh] recommendations for 40Km Link

Huub Schuurmans huubsch at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 22 21:30:50 CEST 2013

Op 6/17/13 3:41 AM, NicoEchániz schreef:
> Hi guys,
>
> Here in Quintana (Argentina) we are planning a 40Km link to connect
> three community networks in the region to the nearest Internet Exchange
> in Cordoba City.
> Our longest link so far is 16Km and it works very well (40Mbps) using
> AirGrid M5 27dbi.
>
> For this occasion we are planning to use Ubiquiti Rocket M5 + 34dbi
> dishes. There is clear LOS between both ends; link calculation seems
> fine but I'd like to ask about your experience with this kind of long
> shot high performance links.
>
> Any recommendations based on real-world deployments?
> Are you using these Rocket routers for long links?
>

> Cheers,
> Nico

We (Wireless Leiden, The Netherlands) are planning some research work
with Delft University of Technology to investigate long wifi-links. The
idea is to setup equipment at the top of their tallest building (EWI
department, see
http://www.tudelft.nl/en/about-tu-delft/contact-and-accessibility/bereikbaarheid/gebouw36/building-36/)
and connect to the Wireless Antwerp node at Zierikzee , distance 40 km
(see http://nodedb.wirelessantwerpen.be/?page=nodes) and one or more of
the nodes of our network, at varying distances and height (up to 32 km
to our node near Amsterdam).

Kind regards,
Huub