[Battlemesh] Custom Dual AP antenna setup for one router antenna plug

Huub Schuurmans huubsch at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 21 11:36:28 CEST 2013

Op 9/20/13 10:28 PM, cmsv schreef:

> However the majority seems to claim loss of performance. Can you confirm?
>
> According to this:
> http://www.gandalf.nl/pdf/Splitters_2way.pdf
>
> There is a 5.1 dbi loss.

Yes there is a significant signal loss. But looking at your setup you
will have a lot of loss anyhow because of the thin cables you use.
When we used a set up similar to yours (i.e. with one box acting as
router and providing wireless interfaces) we only used the thick N-type
cables and connectors. We have abandoned this approach a couple of years
ago.

I would suggest to consider a setup that we have developed since and
have deployed on a large scale: using a box for routing over
ethernet-interfaces. Each ethernet port is connected using an ordinary
utp-cable to a wireless-bridge (we use ubiquity devices in bridging mode).

This setup has several advantages:
- no cable and connector losses
- very easy installation: the box can be located in a convenient place,
utp-cables can run up a tower (we use distances up to 80 meter)
- flexibility through modular setup, declouping router-box from
interfaces, i.e. you can change the radio-interface very simply, for
instance 802.11a / 802.11b change, or a higher gain antenna for larger
distances
- very easy and safe installation, using thin 6 mm diameter utp-cables
with PoE.

Kind regards,
Huub
(Wireless Leiden Foundation)