[Battlemesh] Custom Dual AP antenna setup for one router antenna plug

cmsv cmsv at wirelesspt.net
Sat Sep 21 17:44:33 CEST 2013

Hello

On 09/21/2013 05:36 AM, Huub Schuurmans wrote:
> Op 9/20/13 10:28 PM, cmsv schreef:
>>
>> However the majority seems to claim loss of performance. Can you confirm?
>>
>> According to this:
>> http://www.gandalf.nl/pdf/Splitters_2way.pdf
>>
>> There is a 5.1 dbi loss.
>>

> Yes there is a significant signal loss. But looking at your setup you
> will have a lot of loss anyhow because of the thin cables you use.

I currently use LMR400 and some LMR200. The cables are not longer than
30cm and i am curious to know if in fact there a lot of loss as you say.
Could you point to a cable loss calculator that you trust to be very
accurate (or a good software package that helps verifying the gain and
loss ) the ones i have used do not show much loss.

My current standard  setup
http://wirelesspt.net/wiki/Construindo_um_kit_wirelesspt
(translation bar provided)

> When we used a set up similar to yours (i.e. with one box acting as
> router and providing wireless interfaces) we only used the thick N-type
> cables and connectors. We have abandoned this approach a couple of years
> ago.

By "thick N type" could you clarify with reference numbers?

> I would suggest to consider a setup that we have developed since and
> have deployed on a large scale: using a box for routing over
> ethernet-interfaces. Each ethernet port is connected using an ordinary
> utp-cable to a wireless-bridge (we use ubiquity devices in bridging mode).

Would it be possible to see a picture of this setup ?

Although i use utp cables i cannot use poe and as far as ubiquity
devices they are expensive and i am the only one bearing almost all
costs of all hardware.

Correct me if i am wrong but at some point we will have to have a
pigtail cable to the antenna unless its ubiquity like or we plug the
antenna directly into the router connector or pcb board, which has been
thought for most cases but not used due to watter proofing concerns
regarding the antenna position in the box based on past experiences.