[Battlemesh] Talk about DFS in 5 GHz mesh networks

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Feb 25 18:20:04 CET 2014

I would be keen to see slides or summary of this talk, if they would be
made available somewhere offline after the Battlemesh.

In particular, I'm curious about the following details related to DFS
implementations:

- Suitable schemes for DFS channel-hopping in a mesh.  E.g. how can all
nodes coherently hop channels en mass, so as not to orphan some nodes?

- General situation with regulatory compliance.  Here in the US,
DFS-capable radios like UBNT Nanostations are "sticker-certified," but it
is unclear whether details like what firmware the device is actually
running may affect that certification.  Under strict interpretation, it may
mean the FCC (and analogous regulatory agencies) will only permit operation
of these products on DFS channels with the firmware used in certification,
regardless of whether the OpenWRT-based DFS implementation is functionally
correct.

- Beaconing on DFS channels?  It's not allowed here in the US (to my
understanding), meaning no conventional adhoc on those frequencies?

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Simon Wunderlich <sw at simonwunderlich.de>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'd like to submit another talk proposal:
>
> Title: DFS in 5 GHz mesh networks
>
> Abstract: The 5 GHz band is an interesting alternative to the crowded 2.4
> GHz
> ISM band to set up mesh networks. However, DFS (Dynamic Frequency
> Selection)
> support is required in many countries to avoid disturbing primary users
> (e.g.
> military or weather radar systems), and DFS support was not available in
> open
> source drivers until last year.
> In this talk I'll present what DFS is and how it can be handled, summarise
> the
> current status in open source drivers and userspace tools, and discuss
> limitations and requirements to get it running in mesh networks.
>
> Time slot would 60 minutes for 30-40 minutes talk time and 10-15 minutes
> for
> questions. I'd also like to use a projector.
>
> Thanks,
>     Simon

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net