[Battlemesh] Call for talks organization, anyone? (and other open jobs!)

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Mon Jan 13 11:01:22 CET 2014

Hey Peg,

> Hi,
>
> I am motivated to take on the organisation of the talks.  However, I have
> not attended a battlemesh event before, so I would need some support, in
> terms of where the call has been sent for previous events, and the format
> the schedule has taken at previous events.  I have read the call posted on
> the moinmoin wiki for the Aalborg event, and can see that the agenda for
> that event was posted directly on the wiki, so I could imagine to do the
> same.

I think it's no problem if you didn't participate yet, as long as you plan
participate this year. :) That's right, the talk organizer sends the call of
talks, responds to e-mails sending in proposals, sorts them and finally puts in
the schedule in the wiki. Usually we keep all proposals and decide on the
schedule after the deadline (in case we get so many that we have to choose).
Also some correspondence might be required to fit the talks according to our
speakers travel plans. It's mostly about e-mailing anyway. ;)

If you want I can help out on that part too, or maybe someone else wants to
co-work on this? (having a few people reviewing proposals is good IMHO).

> I can imagine some mailing lists based in the UK and france that I
> would like to send the call to and given a bit of time I could do english
> to french translation of the call.  My german is not great but I am living
> in germany with german speaking people who can help me translate to or
> from german.  But I imagine as this is an international event most of the
> correspondance will be in english.  It appears that at previous events all
> of the workshops have been given in english.

The event language is english only, so that is perfectly fine.

> I will take some time to read about previous events to try to keep things
> done in a similar way.

Great, thanks a lot! If you want, please prepare the call for talks e-mail.
You can send drafts to me or the local organizers (e.g. JoW) before sending
them to the ml if you want.

Thanks,
    Simon