[Battlemesh] BMV8 Final blog post

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 15:42:37 CEST 2015

well, there was a third testbed, but it was used in production to
carry traffic from the lecture hall to the rest of the internet -
utilizing the new minstrel blues and minstrel variance patches. (this
was the "babel" ssid)

I did not get a lot of data from it during the conference, my goal was
merely to determine if minstrel-blues co-existed with other
non-power-reducing stations in a busy wifi environment. The potential
problem here was similar to using delay based tcps vs loss based -
loss based always wins.

it worked pretty darn well during the conference - but more exaustive
analysis is needed.

Prior to the conference I did get a lot of data from it, that is
difficult to interpret. It may well be that that andrew's
minstrel-variance patches result in too much stability at a given rate
and it needs to probe harder to find better rates than it currently
does. I see *very good* performance but rate switches only seem to
take place on roughly 30 second intervals.

the topology of that testbed was:

wlan-slovenia -ethernet- wndr4300 - nanostation m5 - nanostation m5 -
"babel-lecture" ssid on a picostation.

with a few other picostations and nanostations thrown in for good measure.