[Battlemesh] Result documentation RFC

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Fri Aug 21 19:47:09 CEST 2015

Hi everybody,

this is a request for feedback: comments, suggestions and pull requests.

See here:
http://battlemesh-test-docs.readthedocs.org/v8/index.html

Before starting to work on it I exchanged a few ideas via chat with
Amadeus and Henning.

Here's a quick recap:

  * having all the results on one page would have made it quite hard to read
  * so the tests have been split in 3 pages
      o mesh of adversity: one single stream from client (connected to
        A) to server (connected to K)
          + reboot
          + ping
          + ping + iperf
      o crossed streams jeopardy: two streams, client A to server K and
        node D to node H
          + 10 mbit iperf streams
          + 100 mbit iperf streams
      o blowing up the network: tests performed with Flent by Toke
          + Realtime Response Under Load (RRUL)
          + Realtime Response Under Load Best Effort (RRUL_BE)
          + 8-stream download test
          + TCP upload
          + TCP download

As you can see, there are quite a few things that can be improved!

  * some graphs are missing (some purposely and some I was not able to
    generate properly)
  * english needs to be checked
  * it would be good to provide some additional explanation to the graphs
  * shall we add a conclusion section to each page? if yes, anybody
    willing to propose a conclusion?
  * shall we add a last "lessons learned" page with all the things that
    went wrong and the proposed solutions for the next edition?
  * we are not forced to host it on readthedocs.org, we might also host
    the sphinx build files ourselves

The github repo is here: https://github.com/battlemesh/battlemesh-test-docs

Looking forward to hear your feedback!

Federico